Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Spring break calls for a Kimbap break

OMG~ (=A=) I have no Spring Break. Between work and class papers + projects... I'm exhausted. But that doesn't mean that I forgot about this blog (although I think I might have for a little bit). *guilty*

Anyways... being busy with school and work doesn't mean that I haven't made time to do some cooking. There is this love I have for maki (rolled sushi), and I have this love for Korean food. And I have this love to shop at Kukje Market. I can always find something there, and one item I always buy there is Kimbap.

I got a little tired of buying kimbap, so I thought... "Why not make my own?" My only problem is that... my family prefers the bulgogi kimbap over the fishcake kimbap. So the only one I make is the bulgogi kind, but please... sub the meat for fishcake. I want to suggest as a vegetarian substitution would be firm tofu maybe grilled and lightly brushed with teriyaki sauce? I don't know... one and one type of kimpbap makes it to my table at home... sadly. XD But when I first made kimbap, I got the recipe from About.com and adjust as I go along over time.

A quick way to cut corners in making kimbap is the deli section of the Korean market and pre-cut items. Those are your friends. Especially when you can't think of what to make, and your family throws a "Hey, are you going to make korean sushi tonight?" just out of the blue. I get this all the time. I usually like to buy the spinaches from the deli to cut corners, but I'll post the instructions for the spinach part if you prefer to make kimbap out of scratch. I tend to buy the pre-cut pickled daikon (aka: Takuan), because I really don't want to still be chopping and cutting my veggies, while my family is waiting for me to finish making dinner.


Quick tip: If you don't have a bamboo roll mat. Rolling by hand is just as good, but a little messy. But you can also try: lay a clean dish towel on a flat surface, on top lay a sheet of plastic wrap and/or aluminum foil. Now tuck and roll! The towel acts as the mold and compressor. The plastic sheet is keeping its shape and keeping the kitchen surface clean. It won't be as tight as using a bamboo sheet, but it gets the job done. 



Really, my phone should be my camera... period. But that's a whole lotta kimbap! 0_0

My recipe makes a whole lot of kimbap. It seems every time I make kimbap, I end up with 4 - 5 fat rolls (kind of looks like Futomaki doesn't it?). Great for parties.... or 5 days of whole uncut kimbap rolls. XD

Ingredients:
5 - 6 nori sheets
3 - 4 cups cooked sushi rice
2 tbsp sesame oil
2 tbsp salt
1 carrot, julienned
1 cucumber, julienned
1 pickled daikon/takuan, cut into strips (or buy 1 pack pre-cut pickled daikons)
2 - 4 eggs (Tamagoyaki/Japanese omelet style)
1/2 - 1 lb. spinach, parboil (or buy 1 pack pre-seasoned spinach from the deli)
1/2 - 1 pound bulgogi (marinaded beef)
1 sheet fishcake (optional)


How-To:
- Wash and cook rice in rice cooker.
- Once cooked, let rice cool enough to handle.
- In a little bowl, mix sesame oil and salt. Then mix into cooled rice.
- Julienne all the carrots, cucumbers, and cut the daikon into strips (if not using the pre-cut). Set aside.
- In a bowl, crack and scramble the eggs.
- In a pan, heat, lightly grease, and pour 1/3 of the eggs mixture. Quickly fold the egg onto one side of the pan. Pour another 1/3 of the egg mix into the pan, make sure that the first 1/3 is touching the new pour, and fold the egg to the other side of the pan. Pour last 1/3 of the egg mix into the pan, and fold the egg to the other end of the pan. Brown a little for color. Take out of pan, set aside to cool. Once cooled, cut into strips. (Here is a video that gives you an idea of how to make it if words aren't helping -> How to Tamagoyaki)
- Same pan, add a little sesame oil and cook carrots. Sprinkle with a pinch of salt and black pepper, stir, and quickly take out of pan. (You only want to quickly cook it for no more than a minute. You still want the crunch of the carrot.)
- Same pan, add a touch of sesame oil and cook cucumbers. Sprinkle with a pinch of salt, stir, and quickly take out of pan. (Like the carrots, we want to keep the crunch.)
- For those wanting to cook the spinach instead of buying it.
   - Chop spinach in half so you have leafy ends and stalky ends.
   - In a pot with boiling water, add spinach in and cook for a few minutes until wilted but still vibrant green. Just want to blanch it. Transfer into a colander.
   - Stop cooking by running spinach under cold water, squeeze out water from spinach.
   - In a bowl, pour a little (~ 1/2 - 1 tbsp) sesame oil, and little (~ 1/2 - 1 tbsp) soy sauce), and mix. 
- Same pan (or use a grill), cook the marinaded beef slices.
- Now make an assembly line.
   - Sheet of nori, shiny side down.
   - Add 1 - 2 scoops of rice and spread evenly over the nori sheet.
   - One side of the rice covered nori, add a little bit of carrot, cucumber, beef, spinach, and a strip of daikon.
   - Gently lift the loaded side, using your fingers, tuck the ingredients in as you roll the sushi. (If  the ingredients starts to smoosh out the sides, just gently push them back in. XD)
- Cut into bite size pieces (if desired. Haha. XD).


Practice makes perfect! Phew! Looks like a lot, but it really isn't. Please do try making this. Hope you guys like it! (^-^)b

No comments:

Post a Comment