Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Dynamite!... Part 1: Spicy Baked Mussels

This is a recipe I love to make. Its simple, but... it isn't something I would recommend eating all the time. But it goes great with rice, or just as a simple "happi"tizer. =P

I have another recipe for "Dynamite," but that's for next time. But today, I have Dynamite: Baked Mussels. I want to thank my friend, THARY!!! for this recipe. It was yummy, and thanks for teaching me how to make it. Sankyu, Supermodel! (^.^)o ~You are love.

So what is Dynamite? Well... Explosion? Lol! But seriously, I think the name comes from the spiciness the dish has. I'm not sure the origin of the dish, but most likely a Japanese/Asian American recipe. Srirachi (the most recognized Asian "tabasco" brand) and mayonnaise... but no, not just any mayonnaise will do. No sir~ you need Kewpie Mayo. What? That's right! Kewpie Mayo <- click the link if you have never seen it before. What's the difference between this mayo and regular mayo? Kewpie has a sweeter taste, as to regular mayo like Best Foods or Miracle Whip has a tangy taste. Only difference. But you can find the hot sauce at any Asian supermarket (and I think mainstream supermarkets like Safeway carries it now). Kewpie mayo can be a little difficult, I tried my local Chinese/Vietnamese-based supermarket and they didn't have it. But then I went to my local Japanese-based and Korean-based supermarkets, and they have it. So don't despair if you can't find it in one place, try another. If you really can't find it... buy online? Or just try using regular mayo (I never tried it though, because I only have Kewpie in my fridge).

I changed the recipe ever so slightly by adding small bay scallops (click for little picture and description from Pike Place Fish Market), and lots of Tobiko (way smaller than ikura, way bigger than masago. Read this quick wiki for more detail and images). You can have both Tobiko and Masago in the recipe, it just adds different depth of crunch that tiny fish eggs gives when you munch into them.

*My color chart of Sriracha to Mayo mix Spicy level:
Light peach = more mayo than Sriracha -> Not spicy
Peach = little more Sriracha than mayo -> not spicy but has a light Sriracha taste 
Peachy-salmon = bit more Sriracha than mayo -> a good kick of heat
Orangy-pink/beyond = More Sriracha than mayo -> Spicy!



Don't that just look awesomely delicious? "Happ"itizer!

Ingredients:
2 dozen mussels on a half-shell (New Zeland green lips are the best)
1/2 - 1 cup bay scallops (optional)
1 tbsp milk (my friend used milk, some recipes says half and half, but I used heavy cream. All works same.)
1 pinch hon dashi (Dashi "MSG" pellets (my opinion of course)! Curious? Read at Kobi's Kitchen.)
3/4 cup Kewpie mayo
1/4 cup Tobiko (remember to reserve some to garnish)
Sriracha (add enough to your own taste)

How-To:
- Clean mussles, and wash bay scallops. Drain to dry. Cut scallops in half or quarter.
- In a bowl, add milk/cream and hon dashi. Mix to dissolve the pellets.
- Add mayo. Mix to incorporate into the milk/hon dashi mix.
- Add as much Sriracha as you like. *(See my color chart of spicy above) Mix. 
- Add some Tobiko, and add some scallops (if using). Mix.
- Pre-heat oven to 350˚F.
- Line a pan with aluminum foil, top each clean mussel with some mayo-scallop mix, and sprinkle some more tobiko.
- Place mussel-filled pan into the oven, and bake for 15 - 20 minutes depending on oven (or until scallops are cooked... if using scallops of course).
- Make sure you rotate the pan of mussels every 5 minutes for even cooking.
- After 15 - 20 minutes are up, take out of oven and enjoy!

Hella good, I say. This is a must try, because there is so little ingredients needed and so simple to put together. Please enjoy guys! d(^_^)b

No comments:

Post a Comment